Careers - Why Join Farm?
Farm, a Flex company, has over 45 years of experience providing award-winning development services for medical, life sciences, and consumer healthcare companies. Our talented researchers, designers, and engineers work in a highly collaborative environment on innovative products designed to improve people’s lives. At Farm, you’ll learn from bright, like-minded individuals excited to tackle the world’s healthcare technology challenges.
Located in Southern, NH, our employees have the best of both city and country living with a convenient drive to Boston, the ocean, and the mountains. We attract talent from all over the world and offer competitive salaries and benefits.
We are looking for Senior Industrial Designer to join our team! The Senior Industrial Designer is responsible for industrial design activities at Farm. He or she is directly involved with the design, development, and execution of design deliverables for programs. The Senior Industrial Designer receives direction from program managers, technical leaders, and/or other management, but works with minimal supervision and is expected to demonstrate independent action and initiative.
Travel Required: Some travel is required in order to conduct research activities, maintain and enrich positive relationships with current clients, and meet with prospective clients. Additional travel may be required to attend tradeshows, seminars, and other work-related activities.
Here is a glimpse of what you’ll do…
- Acts as a Senior Industrial Designer or design lead on client programs. Is responsible for deliverables and has an awareness of and maintains a perspective on overall project deliverables given internal and external program constraints such as client goals, budget and schedule.
- Conceptualizes, creates, and develops new products involving aspects of form, aesthetics, human factors, and ergonomics having a high level of sophistication, complexity, and/or breadth of scope while applying advanced knowledge of design principles.
- Has an awareness of the overall product and its primary function as it relates to the user(s) and “system” in which it lives. Acquires the knowledge through client inputs and formative research to inform the design process.
- Possesses a working knowledge of manufacturing processes and techniques and applies design for manufacturing and assembly principles as needed.
- Creates necessary documentation to convey design solution to management and clients through CAD, renderings, hand crafted models, prototypes, written reports and compelling presentations.
- As applicable, designs user interfaces, icons, packaging and product graphics.
- Engages/manages outside vendors for prototyping, gathering of DFM feedback, obtaining cost/schedule estimates, etc.
- Works with user research and mechanical engineering to implement a design that meets end-user needs and marketing requirements while applying a high value to functionality and manufacturability.
- Interacts with the research, engineering, operations, business development, and quality disciplines to develop good processes, close working relationships, and successful products.
- Receives assignments, instructions, and guidance from Manager and Program Managers.
- Provides accurate, well-defined, and articulate verbal and written presentations to clients and other team members that effectively communicate the value of his/her designs.
- Possesses a developing understanding of his/her capabilities and work commitments and is able to provide estimates/schedule for work deliverables.
- Contributes to the continuous improvement of the department and its staff by maintaining an awareness of and promoting state-of-the-art designs, methods, standards, systems, and development techniques.
- Participates in the interview process for new hires and endorses selections.
- Provides input, as requested, for the 360-feedback performance review process.
- May have frequent and direct contact with clients regarding deliverables and general project communications to maintain and improve client goodwill and to ensure client satisfaction. Does not alter client commitments without approval from the program manager.
- Will make sure the program manager is aware of these interactions.
- Supports business development efforts by participating in prospect meetings, sales presentations, and contributing/authoring proposals.
Here is some of what you’ll need (required)…
- Bachelor’s degree in Industrial Design, from an accredited school and 5+ years of work experience or combination of education and relevant work experience.
- Sufficient maturity to interact with project managers in a cooperative and productive manner with little supervision.
- Demonstrated versatility and high competency levels in creativity and technical comprehension.
- Proven creative capacity as evidenced by the ability to invent, conceptualize, and abstract.
- Prior experience with medical device design.
- Must have portfolio of work to display quality of work and knowledge of design processes.
- Experience with health and wellness consumer goods a plus.